United Way is taking appointments this week for the Laid-Off Workers Center’s March session
WICHITA, Kan., Feb. 15, 2010 -- United Way of the Plains is taking calls Feb. 15 – 19 to set up appointments for the Laid-Off Workers Center’s March session.
To set up an appointment, individuals must call United Way’s information number by dialing 2‑1‑1 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (this is a toll-free number). The deadline to call for an appointment for the March session is Friday, Feb. 19. The center will be open on a monthly basis as needed beyond March.
To qualify for help through the Laid-Off Workers Center, laid-off workers must:
- Show that they have emergency financial needs and have insufficient personal resources to adequately provide food, clothing and/or shelter; and
- Pre-register to set up an appointment by calling United Way’s information number 2-1-1;
- Have been laid off and approved for unemployment compensation sometime since October 1, 2008 (not fired, quit, or on medical leave);
Services at the Laid-Off Workers Center include:
- Emergency financial assistance for those who qualify (mortgage/rent, electric, gas and water). Checks will be written directly to the lender, landlord or utility company.
- Budget and debt management counseling
- Help applying for government programs
- Job training and job search assistance
- Continuing education information
- Food assistance
- Community volunteering information
- On-site child care services during the appointment
MEDIA CONTACT: Delane Butler, Vice President of Marketing, 267-1321